Smale and Partners has an unbroken history dating back to 1892 when the design for the Buffalo Street Catholic Church was completed.
Over the years the Practice changed names until the unwieldy heading of Smale, Orpen, Parker, Jennings, Faragher-Thomas and Knibbs was changed to the current Smale and Partners in 1986. The Practice became an Incorporated Company in 1975.
The Practice has established itself in the Border / Kei region of the Eastern Cape Province and currently has an office in East London. Although based in this region, the Practice is willing to undertake projects throughout Africa.
Currently, the Practice is controlled by four Directors.
Over the years a considerable base of design, construction and administration knowledge has been established and the Practice has particular expertise in the design of hospitals and health buildings, teacher and other educational training colleges, schools, regional and local shopping centres, industrial building, office buildings and a range of residential buildings.
Smale and Partners is able to assist in establishing and assessing the viability of a project through manipulating design, cost and construction options. The Practice offers a full range of services encompassing the compilation of presentation material, production of comprehensive working drawings, advising on contract selection, project management and site supervision.
In 1983 the Practice became one of the first in the Eastern Cape to use CAD. Currently, all documentation is produced using the latest CAD software from AutoCAD.
Smale and Partners was one of the first Practices placed on the Pilot Roster of consultants due to the Practices longstanding willingness to assist previously disadvantaged individuals to enter the profession.